A beloved First Lady once commented that “where flowers bloom, so does hope.”* And, certainly there is nothing more optimistic than a garden. The atmosphere is heavy with expectancy. It breathes vitality. It positively explodes with potential. It is both the reward itself as well as the promise of more to come.
And who, irrespective of age or mobility, would not love to be immersed in such a delightfully encouraging setting as much as possible? So consider a few tips to make your Main Line landscape design more accessible to those who have mobility challenges:
- Skip the steps – While steps provide structural interest in a landscape scheme, they also present obstacles for the mobility challenged. Whether the mature garden lover uses a cane, walker or wheelchair, steps are hazards that are best avoided entirely. Gently sloping walkways are the best option for scaling the different levels within the yard or garden design.
- Make walkways wide enough – A path that is at least 36” will provide ample room for nature enthusiasts in wheelchairs (or gardeners with wheelbarrows) to move easily throughout your Main Line landscape design.
- Use hard path materials – This is a critical element, as pathways need to be firm enough to support wheelchair tires without causing undue strain in navigating throughout the garden design.
- Plant strategically – Set fragrant, cheerful plants close to paths so that passersby can easily enjoy the colors and revel in the scents and touch the blossoms. And to ensure there is no danger of being snagged by inhospitable prickly plants, such specimens should be situated further away from walkways.
- Provide ample seating – Gardens aren’t merely to walk through but to soak in. Those advancing in age can often appreciate even more the experience of “stopping to smell the roses.” So anticipate the need and create cozy sitting nooks where one can rest awhile and enjoy the richness and wonder of your Main Line landscape design.
In 2014, 2015, and 2016 Aardweg Landscaping of Newtown Square, PA received the “Best Of Houzz” award for Customer Satisfaction by Houzz. Aardweg Landscaping also received the exclusive “Recommended” badge for top rated professionals on Houzz in 2015.
Schedule a complimentary on-site consultation to discuss arrangements for landscape design, installation and maintenance with Philadelphia area Aardweg Landscaping by calling 610.355.0703, or sending us an email.
(*Lady Bird Johnson)