When do you begin contemplating fall container garden ideas for your Philadelphia garden? Is it when that first crisp breeze comes, with the hint of autumn in the air?
It is amazing what invigorating power that first whisper of fall can hold! It at once sparks the gardening creativity that has perhaps lain stagnant in the relentless summer heat. But when you look around your lawn and garden with eyes toward the cooler season, you realize you need something immediately. And one quick way to perk things up is by incorporating some brilliant fall inspiration via container gardens.
What are some fresh container garden ideas for Philadelphia gardens? How about a combination of any of these beauties:
- Asters – These wonderfully cheerful, daisy-like flowers are a delight for autumn plantings. Coming in a wide range of hues and sizes, there is undoubtedly a long-lasting cultivar to suit your container’s size and location.
- Chrysanthemum – The quintessential queen of autumn plants has earned is reputation as a lovely and exceptionally hardworking pedal-pusher. These statuesque plants bring happy flowers and pretty foliage to any garden setting.
- Pansies and violas – These classic “smiling” flowers bring such joy to gardens, and they are petite enough to find any container the perfect home!
- Heuchera – Delightful and small, coral bells do double duty – offering slender spikes of dainty flowers in the spring and all-season vivid foliage for exciting visual appeal.
- Ornamental kale and cabbage – These pink, white and lavender rosettes provide colorful structural backdrops for other flowering plants.
Evergreens make attractive container plants, as well. Planting evergreens in containers requires 4 easy steps, according to hgtv.com. All you have to do is: “Select a pot that is proportionate in size with the plant, and fill it partway with a top-quality potting mix — one that has a fairly coarse texture and drains well. Place the plant in the pot and add more soil around the base of the plant, tamping the soil down as you go. Give the plant a thorough soaking.” We may still be in the throes of summer, but it’s not too early to start reflecting on some fall container garden ideas for your Philadelphia garden.
Main Line landscape design company Aardweg Landscaping of Newtown Square, PA has received a “Best Of Houzz” 2015 award for Customer Satisfaction by Houzz. As a full-service landscape company, Aardweg Landscaping has the design expertise, plant knowledge and quality workmanship necessary to provide the professional services you deserve.