Sometimes it seems we just cannot be pleased. We endure long, hot, dry spells during the summer, wishing for a nice soaking rain to refresh the parched earth. Then when cooler weather arrives, with more abundant rainfall, we panic as we survey areas in the yard that are underwater or being stripped away by runoff. However, those issues can be resolved with some landscaping design tips to control front and backyard flooding and drainage issues at your Philadelphia home.
First, take time to recognize the problem areas in your yard. These might include:
- Poor drainage around the home that could potentially damage the foundation and even plantings in your landscape.
- Areas of voluminous storm runoff
- Sink holes
- Decaying trees
Since these are also landscaping eyesores, one of best tips to control front and backyard flooding and drainage issues at your Philadelphia home is to get a professional landscaper on your side. With the expert assistance of a professional landscape designer, your storm water damage repair solutions and options expand. Solutions may involve:
- Discovering the root of the problem. Sometimes the source is not readily seen, but a landscaper can help solve the mystery
- Installing a French drain system, which Wikipedia defines as “a trench filled with gravel or rock or containing a perforated pipe that redirects surface water and groundwater away from an area”
- Having a complete repair of the damages, providing restored a landscape that is designed to handle excess water with ease
- Designing an entirely new landscape structured to address problem areas with state-of-the-art resurfacing of the landscape and savvy selection of trees, shrubs and plants to thrive in your particular micro-climate
“Rainfall is the periodic catalyst that sets drainage problems in gear. Where heavy downpours are common, poorly drained sites can become flooded for a short time if drainage structures are in place, or extended periods if they are not,” says landscapingnetwork.com.
An experienced Main Line landscaping company such as Aardweg Landscaping, will analyze the makeup of your yard, survey the grades to establish the exact topography of the property, and establish spot elevations to locate problem areas. In a brief period of time, those problems could become a thing of the past.
Aardweg Landscaping is a double Houzz award recipient. In 2015 Aardweg Landscaping of Newtown Square, PA received both the “Best Of Houzz” 2015 award for Customer Satisfaction by Houzz, and the exclusive “Recommended” badge for top rated professionals on Houzz.
If you need help controlling storm water on your Main Line / Philadelphia residential property, schedule a complimentary on-site consultation with Aardweg Landscaping by calling 610-355-0703, or send an email using the website contact form.