Who doesn’t appreciate a splash of color, however small, to brighten up the landscape? Of course, everyone does! And even those with very limited space can enjoy a vibrant punch of color with these super-easy and ultra-charming plant ideas for Philadelphia container gardens.
- Astilbe – Known for its lovely foliage and billowing plumes of flowers, this old fashioned favorite comes in rich shades of pink, red, white and lavender. It flowers in the spring, and the fern-like leaves remain a great accent to other plants throughout the growing season.
- Miscanthus – Ornamental grasses can set a delicately beautiful backdrop for other plants, while providing varieties that come in container friendly sizes.
- Trillium – Enchanting star-like flowers in shades of white, yellow and mauve, this shade lover also has lovely leaves for added interest. Since trillium usually goes dormant in mid season, try planting it near another perennials or ground cover which will soften the bare spot effects of dormancy.
- Heuchera – Among other stunning plant ideas for Philadelphia container gardens, heuchera definitely deserves recognition. Very attractive, grown primarily for the incredibly brilliant foliage, coral bells also delight with spikes of red, pink and white flowers in late spring and early summer.
- Bleeding heart – Exquisite in every respect, this quaint choice regales shady spots with arching stems of gorgeous pink or white heart-shaped flowers. Smaller cultivars with ferny foliage are great additions to container plantings.
HGTVGardens.com touts Autumn fern (Dryopteris erythrosora) as a plant that adds both texture and color in the winter. Known for its coppery new foliage, it turns a glossy, deep green. The article states, “In colder areas, autumn fern is semi-evergreen. By the end of winter, as with many evergreen perennials, it benefits from pruning. However, be careful about going crazy with cutting back — if you remove too much, it’ll lose some vigor.”
There are so many breathtaking plant ideas for Philadelphia container gardens. Try a mix of old and new as you formulate your own signature landscape design, and then enjoy the explosion of color which is destined to follow!
Aardweg Landscaping of Newtown Square, PA was recognized early in 2015 with a “Best Of Houzz” 2015 Award for Customer Satisfaction by Houzz. In business for over 35-years, full-service landscape design company Aardweg Landscaping is pleased to provide on-site consultations at homes in communities throughout the metro Philadelphia, southeastern New Jersey, and northern Delaware areas.
Satisfied customers Darian and Susan V. of Wynnewood, PA shared the following testimonial on behalf of Aardweg Landscaping: “We finished our kitchen and addition and realized that the view we looked into was awful! Aardweg Landscaping had done our neighbors place and we loved it. We are delighted with our yard now and highly recommend Steve and his crew.”
Are you interested in learning more about ideas for container gardens for this fall? To schedule a complimentary consultation, call Aardweg Landscaping at 610-355-0703, or send an email using the website contact form.